11 August 2013

Hiking in the Pyrenees: Day 1

Andorra/ Spanish Pyrenees: Visited 19July13- 22July13

After 3 nights in Andorra La Vella I woke to a cool morning, ready to begin what turned out to be quite a tiring (but very enjoyable) 3 day hike, stopping at Refuges for the first 2 nights. Here's a captioned photo essay of my hike.

Day1:
Hiked from La Comella (just outside Andorra La Vella) to Refugi del Orris, following first the road to the GR7 route, which met the GR11 route, which I followed for the remainder of the hike.
 
 
Leaving Civilization Behind. "It's just me and you now, pack"


The roaring Riu Madriu which I followed for all of Day 1
Panorama of my lunch stop at Refugi de Fontverd. I arrived from the valley to the right and continued along the Valley to the left. There was a water pump just outside the Refuge.
This is just a hint of the many beautiful views I had, of craggy mountains rising from scree, Pine forests, and sunny mountain valley meadows.


The first of many stream/ river crossings.






Looking back the way I'd come, Just outside Refugi del Orris, which was to be my bed for the night.
Refugi del Orris. After a snack outside the first drops of rain began to fall, signalling the beginning of that day's thunderstorm. I ducked inside the refuge to discover 2 Spanish girls already there. While we awaited the storm to finish we were joined by a group of 4 adults and about 14 kids who were stopping at the next refuge, Refugi de I'Illa. I decided to spend the night here instead, to avoid them, as although I knew Refugi de I'Illa was quite big, I thought it would be nicer to spend the night here. After the storm had passed the group moved on, and I enjoyed relaxing by the river (which was about 10ft in front of the Refuge) with my e-reader, and chatting to the Spanish girls. Later that evening a German Lady set up camp just outside the Refuge too.
 
That evening the Spanish girls set about lighting a fire in the wood burning stove area, as they had stopped there the previous night and been cold (I think they didn't have great sleeping bags, I was warm enough in mine) The refuges were all very basic, with a varying amount of metal bunks (this one had 6 spaces) and sometimes old foam mattresses, a bench table and chairs, and an area to burn firewood. There was no power of any sort, nor any toilets. Drinking water came from a small stream/spring that emerged from the rocks behind the Refuge, although I did see some people drinking water straight from the river.
This was my bed for the night. Despite the very basic facilities, I slept really well. I only woke once and that was when we were awakened by lights shining through the windows and banging on the door. A couple turned up at 1:30am. I think they were either very crazy, or had gotten very lost. Possibly a bit of both.
 After a quick wash in the cold river water, I set out at about 8am to make the most of the cool morning for hiking in, and began day 2 of my hike, which was to prove much more challenging...


No comments:

Post a Comment